It’s summer time! You need to make stuffed chicken breasts in the summer, or it wouldn’t fully be summer. Okay, well maybe that isn’t true, but still. This recipe is so good! The chicken is moist and tender while the apples are perfectly soft. Each bite you get a combination of fennel, apple, onion, fresh herbs and chicken. Herbalicious flavors ignite in your mouth, causing you to almost pass out from the satisfaction of your taste buds. How’s that for a perfect bite? I sure love passing out every time I take a bite. It makes the meal that much more exciting.
“I can’t just have a stuffed chicken! What about a side?” This chicken wouldn’t be as good if it didn’t have a light, fresh summer salad to go with. Simply toss some fresh greens with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add chopped fresh basil and chopped peaches. Then grind some fresh pepper over the whole thing. BAMM! A light side salad with a perfect concoction of flavors.
You know how this recipe was created? In. my. dreams. Sometimes I dream about food and recipes. In my dreams I’ll be creating different kinds of dishes and then I’ll wake up in the morning with a new recipe to try. So far, the recipes I’ve dreamt of have turned out exactly how they looked in my head! Which is always wonderful!
Now it’s your turn to dream…
INGREDIENTS: Makes 3 large servings or 6 small servings (if you cut chicken in half before serving)
- 3 thick organic free range chicken breasts
- 1/2 organic yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 small organic pink lady apples (chopped into small cubes)
- 2/3 cup chopped organic fennel
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme
- organic olive oil
- lemon juice from 2 small lemons
- lemon zest from 1 small lemon
- organic mixed greens
- organic peach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh organic basil, chopped
- balsamic vinegar and olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
* Toss lettuce with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add peaches and basil. Grind pepper over everything. Enjoy!
- Marinate the chicken breasts for a few hours (or overnight). Place the chicken breasts in a glass pan, season well with salt and pepper (both sides) then, drizzle olive oil over everything. Make sure all breasts are evenly coated in olive oil. Then juice 2 lemons and pour the lemon juice over the chicken. Zest one lemon, and spread that evenly on the chicken. Cover and put in the fridge, flip the chicken over half way through the marination.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Saute the chopped apples, onion and fennel in olive oil until slightly tender. Season with salt, pepper and fresh thyme.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the breasts on top straight down the middle. Cut almost all the way through. Then using the knife try to cut inside of the breasts on both sides, creating a pocket to stuff.
- Now stuff the chicken breasts. Really shove the stuffing all in side, pack it in there.
- Using a 9X13 pan, place the stuffed chicken in. Then drizzle the marinade you used earlier for the chicken all over the now prepared stuffed breasts.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. Cut into the thickest part of the breast to see if its done. If it’s no longer pink it’s done.
- Serve with the side salad and enjoy!
A girl who loves summer meals,