This is by far the best steak I’ve ever had! It’s sooo tender… The flavors of lemon and rosemary are perfectly absorbed into each bite. Thanks to the many hours of marination. You can’t help but say a slow “mmmm” with every bite, followed by licking your fingers. I couldn’t take the extra steps to use a fork and my greedy little fingers were so ready to dig in. It’s truly irresistible… Excuse for me a second. Plus it’s SUPER easy to make. A baby could do it, they might burn themselves or catch your place on fire, but… yeah a baby could do it.
Normally I create the majority of my recipes. However this fine looking piece of steak was found in, The Herbal Kitchen cookbook. I love this cookbook, mainly because of the abundant use of herbs in every meal. From appetizers, to drinks and desserts. There are herbs included in everything! And if you’re like me, growing your own herbs makes each meal that much more fresh.
Let’s move on to the recipe before I start throwing things…
- 1/2 cup organic soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons organic sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup very coarsely chopped chives or green onion
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon verbena leaves, gently packed
- zest of 1 medium lemon
- 4 hanger steaks (or flank steak if you can’t find it), about 2 pounds
- Puree the soy sauce, sugar, garlic, and herbs (basically everything except the steak) in a blender until fairly smooth. Pour the mixture over the steaks in a large freezer bag, seal it, and squish things around to coat the steaks all over. Let the steaks marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight (I recommend overnight!)
- Start up that grill and get it nice and hot. Grill the steaks, turning them several times, until they are done to your liking, 12 to 15 minutes for medium-rare.
- The steaks will inevitably char a bit because of the sugar in the marinade, but keep them away from the hottest part of the grill and watch them carefully so they don’t blacken.
- Allow the steaks to rest for 10 minutes, then carve them into 1/2-inch thick slices and serve.
Enjoy feeling absolutely helpless, while you eat this steak.