Eating greens is incredibly healthy for you. It can be hard to get all your greens, so packing it all into a smoothie makes it that much easier. The only time I truly feel like I’m getting enough greens is when I make smoothies, and let me tell you it’s always a happy dance in the morning when I pull out the Vitamix.
One of my favorite smoothies to make is infact the one in the picture above. I crave it and enjoy every bit of it, knowing I’m putting such healthy nutrient rich foods into my body. What could be better? Puppies? Well yes… And maybe, just maybe extra dark chocolate, but lets not get carried away. Oh my, now I can’t stop thinking about puppies and chocolate. Puppies covered in chocolate! Now THAT’S a perfect combination. Goodness gracious, enough with that or I just might throw my laptop across the room from sudden excitement. That tends to happen at times of extreme joy…
Any whoooo, lets get back into talking about this amazing super smoothie! I’m going to tell you what is all in it, AND the health benefits to each ingredient. Knowing the health benefits to the foods you eat, makes it all the more tastier (at least in my case). I’ve been trying to actually tell people the health benefits to the foods I feed them. Usually I’ll throw some healthy food at them, right in the face or try to forcefully feed it to them. Then I’ll promptly tell them they must eat it or else they will most likely die of cancer or have ugly babies. Probably not the best way to go about things. So, instead of throwing food at you or having me force it into your body, I’ll tell you why you should be nourishing YOURSELF with these healing foods.
I’ve been reading a lot lately; articles on health, books on emotions and your health, benefits of all sorts of veggies, herbs, etc. So, now (most of the time) knowledge on food and what it benefits in your body, just flows out of my mouth. At times I have had people feel offended, like I was criticizing them for letting them know healthy alternatives and the benefits to organic living. No matter what, someone will take what I say as criticism towards them. Hearing and knowing that, only makes me realize they must not be secure with themselves to think everyone is criticizing them. Now that only makes me want to give them books on self love and getting rid of negative energy and how that greatly impacts your health. Unfortunately, I do need to be careful to who I open my mouth to, some people will never understand. Lesson learned, yes indeed. I’ll continue trying to educate everyone on health and organic living. When you have such a passion for something, you can’t help but try to share it and make a change. I have a little bit of a problem with trying to “fix” people. More in a way as wanting them healthy and letting them know about all the toxins and chemicals in our foods and products. I’m not going to lie, I can get carried away at times.
Alright, onto this delightful smoothie! Here is what you’ll need:
INGREDIENTS: Makes 2 servings
Large handful of organic spinach (about 2 cups)
Handful of organic parsley (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons organic chia seeds
1/2 inch slice of organic lemon (peel on)
1 inch chunk of peeled organic fresh ginger
1/2 of an organic apple
1 teaspoon organic spirulina powder
1 teaspoon organic chlorella powder
1 tablespoon organic maca powder
2 teaspoons organic unrefined coconut oil
Blend everything in a Vitamix (or any blender) with about 1-2 cups of water. Serve and feel the nourishment! I like to drink mine with a glass straw 🙂
Onto the benefits!
- Spinach is very high in vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. It’s an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, magnesium, iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B2, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin E, zinc, copper, dietary fiber, and omega 3 fatty acids.
- Spinach is loaded with flavonoids which act as antioxidants, protecting the body from free radicals. Researchers have discovered at least 13 different flavonoid compounds that act as anti-cancer substances. The various nutrients basically offer disease protection. Popeye knew what he was doing when he squeezed those cans of spinach into his mouth. However those cans most likely had BPA’s in them, but I won’t get into that now.
- Spinach has amazing anti-inflammatory properties.
- Have you heard of lutein? It’s a carotenoid found in spinach that is protective against eye diseases such as age-related cataracts and macular degeneration. There is some indication that it might be absorbed better if you eat it with a little fat, such as coconut oil. (I believe that!)
- Parsley is rich in many vital vitamins, including vitamin C, B 12, K and A. This means parsley keeps your immune system strong, tones your bones and heals the nervous system.
- It helps flush out excess fluid from the body, thus supporting kidney function.
- Regular use can help control blood pressure. The folic acid is like a tonic for your heart.
- Parsley is known as a detox herb, helping your body release any toxins stuck in your body.
- Chia seeds are loaded with omega 3 fatty acids. It is composed of 60 percent omega 3’s. The omega – 3’s in chia seeds can help reduce inflammation, enhance cognitive performance and reduce high cholesterol.
- They are packed with fiber with a whopping 10 grams in just 2 tablespoons
- Chia seeds are rich in antioxidants that help protect the body from free radicals, aging and cancer. The high antioxidant profile also helps them have a long shelf life. They last almost two years without refrigeration.
- Two tablespoons of chia seeds contain 18 percent of calcium, 35 percent for phosphorus, 24 percent for magnesium and about 50 percent for manganese. These nutrients help you prevent hypertension and maintain a healthy weight, and are important for energy metabolism
- Chia seeds can help regulate blood sugar levels
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C and flavonoids that work against infections like the flu and colds.
- Lemons are alkalizing for the body. Lemons are acidic to begin with but they are alkaline-forming on body fluids helping to restore balance to the body’s pH.
- Your liver loves lemons! Fresh lemon juice added to a large glass of water in the morning is a great liver detoxifier.
- The citric acid in lemon juice helps to dissolve gallstones, calcium deposits, and kidney stones.
- The lemon peel contains the potent phytonutrient tangeretin, which has been proven to be effective for brain disorders like Parkinson’s disease.
- Lemons have powerful antibacterial properties: experiments have found the juice of lemons destroy the bacteria of malaria, cholera, diphtheria, typhoid and other deadly diseases.
- Blood vessels are strengthened by the vitamin P (bioflavinoids) in lemon thus prevents internal hemorrhage. Also, making it useful in treating high blood pressure.
- Lemons contain 22 anti-cancer compounds, including naturally occurring limonene; oil which slows or halts the growth of cancer tumors and flavonol glycosides which stop cell division in cancer cells
- Maintains Normal Blood Circulation. Ginger contains chromium, magnesium and zinc which can help to improve blood flow, as well as help prevent chills, fever, and excessive sweat.
- Ginger improves the absorption and stimulation of essential nutrients in the body. It does this by stimulating gastric and pancreatic enzyme secretion.
- Ginger has been used for thousands of years as a natural treatment for colds and flu
- Ginger is ideal in assisting digestion, thereby improving food absorption and avoiding possible stomach ache. Ginger appears to reduce inflammation in a similar way to aspirin and ibuprofen
- Ginger contains some of the most potent anti-inflammatory fighting substances known and is a natural powerful painkiller.
- If you’re suffering from common respiratory diseases such as a cough, ginger aids in expanding your lungs and loosening up phlegm because it is a natural expectorant that breaks down and removes mucus
- Ginger powder induces cell death in ovarian cancer cells.
- Ginger helps improve the immune system. Consuming a little bit ginger a day can help foil potential risk of a stroke by inhibiting fatty deposits from the arteries. It also decreases bacterial infections in the stomach, and helps battle a bad cough and throat irritation.
- Apples help detoxify your liver
- Red apples contain an antioxidant called quercetin. Recent studies have found that quercetin can help boost and fortify your immune system, especially when you’re stressed out.
- The consumption of flavonol-rich apples could help reduce your risk of developing pancreatic cancer by up to 23 percent.
- Apples have been found to protect neuron cells against oxidative stress-induced neurotoxicity and may play an important role in reducing the risk of neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer’s disease
- Eating apples is associated with a lower risk of death from heart disease, an association that’s thought to be related to their content of antioxidant flavonoids
- Spirulina is actually one of the richest and most complete food source present in the world. It has over a 100 types of nutrients, more than any other type of grain, plant, or herb.
- It contains about 60% of protein, 12-13% of vital minerals such as Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Zinc, and Phosphorous as well as a complete group of vitamin B. It’s also rich in several anti-oxidants, which protect body cells. In fact it is the only source of the antioxidant phycocyanin.
- It can aid in fighting cancer and any viral illnesses. It is also proven to enhance a person’s immune system. It was also proven that spirulina helps in increasing the libido level of individuals.
- Spirulina is also proven to protect you against various kinds of infections such as AIDS and influenza. It also contains lots of amino acids, which is considered to be one of the most helpful substances that can help in preventing different kinds of heart diseases.
- Spirulina also contain beta-carotene that helps in protecting the cells and gamma-Linolein acid. Gamma-Linolein acid is considered to be beneficial because of its ability to reduce cholesterol and prevent any heart ailments.
- Spirulina has about the same calcium, phosphorous, and magnesium content as milk, a vitamin E (tocopherol) level comparable to wheat germ, and four times as much vitamin B12 as raw liver!
- Spirulina protects your brain, eyes, liver, heart. Basically your whole body. It is known as the worlds most powerful super food.
- Chlorella is a powerful detoxifier
- Helps boost your immune system
- Improves your digestion, especially if constipation is a problem
- Provides B vitamins
- Enhances your ability to focus and concentrate
- Increases your energy levels
- Balances your body’s pH
- Normalizes your blood sugar and blood pressure
- Reduces your cancer risk
- Freshens your breath
- Maca is rich in vitamin B vitamins, C, and E. It provides plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids.
- It balances your hormones and increases fertility.
- Maca relieves menstrual issues and menopause. It alleviates cramps, body pain, hot flashes, anxiety, mood swings, and depression.
- Within days of using maca your energy level may increase. It is also known for increasing stamina. Many athletes take maca for peak performance.
- Maca helps your overall health in a number of ways. It supplies iron and helps restore red blood cells, which aids anemia and cardiovascular diseases. Maca keeps your bones and teeth healthy and allows you to heal from wounds more quickly. When used in conjunction with a good workout regime you will notice an increase in muscle mass.
- It helps to clear acne and blemishes. Another benefit for your skin is that is decreases sensitivity. In hot or cold weather, maca may help your skin withstand extreme temperatures.
- If you find yourself overcome with anxiety, stress, depression or mood swings, maca may help alleviate these symptoms
- Coconut oil is easy on your digestive system and does not produce an insulin spike in your bloodstream, so for a quick energy boost, you could simply eat a spoonful of coconut oil, or add it to your food.
- Promotes heart health
- Supports proper thyroid function
- Provides an excellent “fuel” for your body and supporting a strong metabolism that can aid in weight loss
- Strengthens your immune system
- Promotes healthy brain function
- It’s a powerful destroyer of all kinds of microbes, from viruses to bacteria to protozoa, many of which can be harmful, and provides your body with high-quality fat that is critical for optimal health.
Whew! Look at all those benefits! Now I can truly say this smoothie is an incredibly, unbelievably, nutritiously, health packed drink. I honestly don’t think I blinked once while writing this. I’m about to pass out and hit my face on my laptop I’m so tired. I didn’t go to sleep till really late last night and woke up very early to find out my brother was in the hospital and we quickly drove down there. He’s alright, thank goodness! I think I could use another one of these smoothies right about now…
When you wake up in the morning, make yourself this smoothie. You will feel amazing for the rest of the day. Or make it right now! Get those nutrients flowing through your body.
Side note: please excuse any strange different sized fonts, colors, spacing. I seemed to have clicked too many buttons on here and changed the font too many times. Now I can’t figure out how to fix it. It adds a uniqueness though, right?
A girl who’s trying to make a difference in everyones lives,